Friday, September 10, 2010

So Long Sweet Summer

   Fall is settling in and, for the first time in a long time, I'm finding myself seduced by the biting chill that has undercut the stifling heat of summer.
   I smile to myself as I layer fabrics on top of each other, reveling in the newness of the season.
   I'm grateful for the change. This is the first fall I'll enjoy at home since my senior year in high school. I'm missing the mountains I spent the past two autumns in on an entirely different level, with an aching, bitter force that leads every step I take.
   My new school is still odd and foreign. It's overwhelmingly large and the atmosphere is decidedly different from my little, relaxed Adirondack home. There's a pretentiousness I can't stomach. But I'm learning a lot in my classes, and, as I keep reminding myself: that's what I'm there for. I'm relieved I don't live there. The distance between myself and the self-congratulating student body is worth the commute.
   There are five classifications of students that attend my new school:

1. The Kid Who Wrote "AP" On All His Folders In High School To Remind You How Smart He Was:
This is the main group of students. They ALL carry bags and wear clothing bearing the school's emblem, as if they're rubbing it in that they were accepted. I get it, assholes. You go here. So do I, that's why I'm in your class. Now please stop hinting at what your SAT scores were. I don't care. PS: Mine were higher.
2. The Hot Girl In All Your AP Classes Who You Always Thought Was Real Dumb:
Aside from their presence, they generally offer little evidence to prove their intelligence.
3. Douchebags
Self-explanatory. 
4. The Kid You Always Thought Might Shoot Up The School
They're just as scary in college.
5. The Adult Going Back To Get Their Degree
Present at every school in the country, this is, hands down, the most annoying person at school. They never stop asking questions or telling stories about their busy lives and their children, which, unfailingly, are not as impressive, interesting, cute or funny as they think they are.

   Anyway, I had my first day of work, but it was all paperwork and orientation videos. I start for real Wednesday. And one week from now is my birthday! I'll be 20! And have no excuse for angst!

2 comments:

  1. i totally agree with number 5!! i go to the community school and there are so many adults there, and we also have a senior citizen program. normally i think the elderly are adorable but at school they are so annoying. they contradict the teachers, and talk about nothing. they come from the days of not raising one's hand, they always speak over everyone. and the other day while a bunch of students including myself were waiting on a long line to get papers for our insurance companies, graduation applications, and other important things, this old couple held up the line for a half hour asking the lady at the desk the weirdest questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't they just the worst?! I'm glad you understand! Sorry you have to endure them too.

    ReplyDelete