Friday, August 20, 2010

We're Going to be Friends

   I believe that everything you consume with an open heart changes you. Some things, like love, come in like an explosion, destructing and rebuilding you from the inside out. Others creep in more quietly, gradually tugging at your mind or heartstrings, softly making room for themselves and letting you adjust to them.
   I have had the tremendously good fortune in my life to have had multitudes of such experiences. I've stayed up all night talking to people and walked away imagining I had a different mind, feeling their ideas whirring around in my head, brightening mental corridors I hadn't known were there. I've had countless books and albums recreate me in the days, hours and years I've spent absorbed in them.
   Here are some of them:
BOOKS
ISHMAEL - DANIEL QUINN
STRANGER IN A STRANGE LAND - ROBERT A. HEINLEIN
A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN - BETTY SMITH
LIFE OF PI - YANN MARTEL
SOMETHING HAPPENED - JOSEPH HELLER
THE STRANGER - ALBERT CAMUS
MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA - ARTHUR GOLDEN
1984 - GEORGE ORWELL

ALBUMS
THE WALL - PINK FLOYD
LONDON CALLING - THE CLASH
AUGUST AND EVERYTHING AFTER - COUNTING CROWS
THE SPARROW AND THE CROW - WILLIAM FITZSIMMONS
THE MOON AND ANTARCTICA - MODEST MOUSE
GRACE - JEFF BUCKLEY
MOS DEF AND TALIB KWELI ARE BLACK STAR - BLACK STAR
THE CLARENCE GREENWOOD RECORDINGS - CITIZEN COPE
ONE OF THE BOYS - KATY PERRY

MOVIES
DAZED AND CONFUSED
ALMOST FAMOUS
INTO THE WILD
PARIS, JE T'AIME
LAST DAYS
THE LIVES OF OTHERS
ONCE
THE PRINCESS BRIDE

   Also, every book Kurt Vonnegut's ever published, many more by Joseph Heller, and the TV show West Wing.

    What are yours, readers?

3 comments:

  1. books
    infinite jest -- david foster wallace


    albums
    Person Pitch -- panda bear
    This is Happening -- lcd soundsystem
    Sung Tongs -- animal collective

    movies
    The Science of Sleep
    The Fountian
    Coraline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those albums are fantastic choices! Unfortunately I haven't read Infinite Jest, I'll have to put that on a list as well as all the movies except The Science of Sleep, I did see that one! :) Thanks for participating, I was starting to think this idea was a failure haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. i wish i knew more of your choices, i'm limited to 1984, the clash, and dazed and confused. :/ and 1984 is great.

    ReplyDelete