Saturday, January 23, 2010

World Spins Madly On

       Opportunity has never hesitated to present itself, graciously, paths lying sweetly before me.  I stroll blithely down them, smiling at the scenery, enjoying the trip.  Every so often, when presented with a choice, I get a nervous feeling, like if I pick the wrong one, will this crumble?  I shrug the worry away, shake it off like a cobweb, and stumble through whichever path feels right.  And I never doubt myself.  I never question if I'm in the right place or if I should have gone the other way.  Of course not.  If I was supposed to go in a different direction, surely I would have.  I succumb mindlessly to the whims of myself, feeling guided by some higher power, the natural balance of the universe directing me hither and thither.  I wander carelessly with little thought to consequence.
     I remember knowing.  The invincibility of myself made me delirious.  The infallibility, the barely existent threat of consequences I knew I would never meet; surely there were no punishments for someone so obviously led.  So obviously led to lead, to accomplish.  "To accomplish what," I should have asked.  How unfathomable that would be to me then- the idea that the world wouldn't bend over backwards to accommodate me was subversive, unthinkable!  The proper course of action presented itself regularly, promptly, simply and with little effort.
     Omnipresent beneath the guileless naivety was the creeping question I buried, hoping it would never resurface.  What happens when all of this stops?  What about when the universe moves on?


     This, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment